Plantation shutters are a popular window treatment option for Brisbane homes. They have a timeless and classic look that complements a variety of interior design styles, from traditional to contemporary. Here are some things to consider if you want to install plantation shutters in your home.
What are Plantation Shutters?
Plantation shutters are a type of window treatment that consists of adjustable louvres or slats mounted within a solid frame. They’re typically made of wood, composite or vinyl and can come in a range of colours, styles and sizes. The name “plantation” comes from the fact that these shutters were commonly used in plantation homes in the southern United States.
Benefits of Plantation Shutters
- Versatility: Plantation shutters can be customised to fit almost any window size or shape, making them suitable for different types of homes and rooms.
- Energy Efficiency: Plantation shutters offer an extra layer of insulation, which can help regulate indoor temperatures and reduce energy bills.
- Privacy: Plantation shutters can be adjusted to control the amount of light and privacy you want, allowing you to enjoy the natural light while maintaining your privacy.
- Aesthetics: it adds an elegant and timeless look to your home, creating a clean and classic feel.
- Low Maintenance: It is easy to clean and maintain, requiring only occasional dusting or wiping with a damp cloth.
Plantation shutters can be installed in several ways, depending on the type of window, the material of the shutters and the homeowner’s preferences. Here are some common installation methods:
- Inside Mount: This type of installation involves mounting the shutters inside the window frame. Inside mount is the most common method and is suitable for most window types. It offers a clean and minimalist look, as the shutters fit snugly within the window frame.
- Outside Mount: This method involves mounting the shutters on the wall outside the window frame. It’s suitable for windows with shallow or narrow frames and can make the window appear larger. The outside mount offers a more dramatic and decorative look, as the shutters sit outside the window frame.
- Bi-Fold: This installation method involves mounting the shutters on a track and allowing them to fold accordion-style to one or both sides of the window. Bi-fold shutters are suitable for larger windows or doors and provide a wider opening to allow more light and air into the room.
- Sliding: This installation method is similar to bi-fold but involves mounting the shutters on a track that allows them to slide back and forth. Sliding shutters are suitable for wider windows and doors and provide a flexible and convenient option for controlling light and privacy.
In conclusion, plantation shutters offer a range of benefits and a classic, timeless look to Brisbane homes. By choosing the right material, colour, finish, louvre size and style, you can create a unique and personalised look for your home. With low maintenance and energy efficiency benefits, plantation shutters are a practical and elegant choice for any homeowner.
TDM Glass & Aluminium specialises in glass splashbacks and is the South East Queensland expert, serving Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast. We have years of experience in the glass industry and can assist you in finding the ideal splashback for your kitchen. For a free quote, contact us today on 3390 3550.